Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Shock Wave knit pattern

Our beloved enabler Sherri, is encouraging sock knitters to shake things up and knit either a Frank or a Martha type of sock. I took that to heart and found some yarn in a color that's not really me. I'm more of a fire-engine red kind of gal, who drives a '79 Black Stingray Corvette with glass T-Tops, if you know what I mean. Yes, I really have one.

I do have a problem with this idea. I just can't decide whether I'm a Frank or a Martha in my socks. I'm very conservative in my lifestyle, thoughts and wardrobe with the exception of my vehicle of choice and my socks, though I'm really a Frank in my personality. So is this a Frank sock for the Martha in me? Or are they a Martha sock for the Frank in me? Somebody help me. I'm so confused:D  What I do know is that I knit these for me. Meet Shock Wave.
free shock wave knit pattern
Please don't email me asking for the pattern because I'm going to give you the seriously abbreviated version. I don't have the patience to write a proper pattern. This is what I call a Burger King pattern - cause you can "Have it your way". Are you ready?

Yarn of your choice and needles to suit your yarn. Aim for 8 stitches per inch - stockinette stitch knit in the round. The pattern creates a bias fabric and is rather stretchy. Be aware!

This is sized for a small or medium sock. If you desire a larger sock add 8 stitches and adjust the pattern accordingly.

Cast on 56 shock wave stitches and knit either a 1x1 rib or a 2x2 rib till it's as long as you like, or until you are sick of it. Whichever comes first. Remember, these are your socks!

Commence stitch pattern.

Row 1: Knit

Row 2:  *K3, K2TG, K3, M1 repeat

Row 3: Knit

Row 4:  *K3, K2TG, K3, M1 repeat

Rows 5: Knit

Row 6:  *K3, K2TG, K3, M1 repeat

Row 7: Knit

Row 8:  *M1, K3, K2TG, K3, repeat

Row 9: Knit

Row 10:  *M1, K3, K2TG, K3, repeat

Row 11: Knit

Row 12:  *M1, K3, K2TG, K3, repeat

Repeat rows 1-12 for as long as you like. Ending on a knit row.

Make sure the pattern is evenly centered over the instep. Knit the heel flap of your choice - stockinette, reinforced, or Eye of Partridge. Knit the heel flap over 28 stitches and end when you have 14 slipped stitches on either side of the flap.

Turn the heel, with whatever heel turn suits you.

For the gusset: Pick up 14 stitches on either side of the heel flap.

Decrease all those annoying gusset stitches until you have 56 stitches again. Keeping "in pattern" on the instep with a minor adjustment to the stitch pattern instep as follows:

Rows 2, 4, 6 *K3, K2TG, K3, M1 repeat. You will end with Knit 4

Rows, 8, 10, 12 *M1, K3, K2TG, K3, repeat. You will end with Knit 2, K2TG

Knit the instep to your desired length. End on a knit row.

Start toe decreases.Knit the toe decreases until you have 16 stitches left. Break yarn and graft the remaining stitches. Weave in all tails. Make another sock.

If your smart you will cast on the for the first sock and knit the cuff then put it down and cast on for the second sock. This will prevent the dreaded SSS, aka The accursed Second Sock Syndrome.

Now off you go and bend some color.
free shock wave knit pattern

No comments:

Post a Comment